View Single Post
Old 2008-03-16, 02:11   Link #963
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
What he means is that there is a "failure condition", so to speak, for your theory. For example, if I say that the maximum speed of a beam is 16m/s. You can disprove this by using a clear beam example (not a random bunch of flashies) and measuring out a higher speed, for example SS12 is good. That's the failure condition. He's saying your theory has none.
Right now I only have a hypothesis. When I have an actual equation for calculating it, I'll let you know.
Quote:
Active defenses, inertial dampening if you like Tk3997. And it hardly leads to the most asinine conclusion that energy transferred to a mage goes down as energy input goes up.
Ark, don't be rude. Just because you don't believe in it doesn't mean its asinine. Also inertial damping is fantasy science and not back by any hard science as well. Besides how does inertial damping even work against impacts? As far as I know, it only prevent people from feeling the effects of sudden acceleration and deceleration not protect against actual impacts. Also there is not a single piece of evidence, I believe, of any active defenses shown protecting their backs when mages actually get slammed into buildings.
Quote:
What about intense indoctrination and an intense effort to stamp out any use? Further, even if I agree that BJs stop bullets despite the list of evidence to the contrary, it hardly leads to the most asinine conclusion that energy transferred to a mage goes down as energy input goes up.
Intense indoctrination will only work to a certain point. Also I said kinetic energy is bled off to the atmosphere and never did I say the energy is transferred to the mage. The bullets thing is just a side thing. The main point I'm suggesting is that the field of the Barrier jackets dissipate kinetic energy.
Quote:

He was willing to vape the helo and recover only Vivio who is supposed to survive this. If Dieci had HV, she'd have busted the helo before Nanoha could have rushed back to shield it.
The thing is Quattro told Deici to fire not Jail. Jail only said cannon fire wouldn't kill Vivio if she really is the vessel of the saint. Jail did not tell Deici to shoot.
Quote:
Would they? Even if they don't really understand the advantages, except that the TSAB
What are you trying to say here?
Quote:
And again, criminals survive by keeping a low profile. By the time they get into a gunfight with the police they've lost 3/4ths of the battle. Even if they did have to use violence against law-enforcement, smart thinking says to do it in a way that will not provoke the police into providing too many reinforcements. That's a criminal's way of survival outside a prison, not shooting cops left and right with your sleazy new Desert Eagle.
Maybe true but they would still have a chance of escaping. If the gun is effective against mages then shooting is an option.
Quote:

If you are a non-mage criminal, you'll just have to rely on stealth. It is now much more difficult for you to get into gunland (Earth) - you can't get there with personal transport and there's no public transport to Earth.

You might conceal a gun. Then comes the day you use it. Even with a silencer (which reduces the velocity of the bullets and thus its big advantage) guns are noisy with a distinct acoustic signature. The survivors of your ambush run back and report a mass weapon, the TSAB comes on you like a frantic set of bricks. When they get you, assuming you are alive, they charge you for violating State Security and give you a penalty ten times of what you might otherwise have taken. You can bet no prosecutor (from Fate's case, we learn that there is no such thing as a lawyer in TSAB, Chrono, technically her prosecutor, tells her how to answer instead of a lawyer!) will give you any mercy or push for anything but the Ultimate Penalty. Still interested?
Jail uses missiles on his type 2 drones. He threaten the whole of Midchilda, engaged in illegal research, attacked Ground HQ etc... and what did he get? He got imprisoned. Precia caused a dimensional incident due to her illegal experiments and she only got exiled. Now you're telling me a criminal with a gun will get even worse then that? Sorry, but that is not believable.
Quote:
Because she doesn't really counternance them using violence?
This doesn't stop her knights from actually requesting for actual armour. Hayate can always refuse.
Quote:
Mindset affects the technology (which is but an application of known physical laws) that a society can produce. If you don't understand the value of high velocity, you won't work to create high velocity ammunition.

At the end of the war, They are obviously in a state of shock, so 99.99% of them are anti-gun. The 0.0001% that still like guns are crushed by sheer weight of numbers.
This is way too idealistic. Is there even a real life equivalent to what you said?
Quote:
Physics say it is much more likely to be 1 than 2.
That is your opinion only. You do not have hard facts to back it up as well.
Quote:
She spends plenty of time on Earth and has plenty of access to Terran material and culture. If I were Hayate, the first question I'll ask is why is TSAB officer training only 3 months long while training on Earth goes on for at least a year?
Different places train their troops differently is all I will say.
Quote:
Why are they down. Does Fate have no survival instinct? Are you saying that they were battered down?
Because she loves her "mother" and will do anything she says.
Quote:
Maybe blood is indeed seeping inside her, but as long as it is inside, we don't see it. Also, the width of the cut matters, not just its length. The wind hit the barrier jacket, went through and nicked her. What's so hard to understand?
Is not hard at all. the 20% thing i mention is the width of the size of the cut on her BJ. I never disagree that the BJ is cut. I disagree that Rein got cut and bleeding.
Quote:
Possibly the inside of the outer layer of the barrier jacket.
Not the inner layer itself?
Quote:
Never mind. You are finally doing it.

Induction goes like this: There are many examples where BJs are almost useless against impactors. Thus, I can conclude that they won't be stopping bullets.
Evidence?
Quote:
Counter induction goes like this: Despite the fact that only under extremely restricted conditions can a higher KE input realistically result in less transfer to the victim, I insist that this is what happens.
How is it restricted?
Quote:
1) Active defenses increasing available deceleration time to survivable levels.
Again lack of evidence as mention somewhere above.
Quote:
2) Inertial dampening.
Fantasy science as well.
Quote:
3) Even an anti-magic coating on the strikes allowing better penetration, while hardly my first choice due to increased complexity, is nothing compared to the problems of a theory in whcih higher KE and force inputs consistently result in less force and KE transmitted to the mage.
If there was antimagic coating, then Signum's flame wouldn't surround her blade.
Quote:
Then what is that stuff above.
Have = suggesting, must have is insisting. I never insisted. I only suggested.
Quote:
Tell me, how often is it that higher thermal inputs will result in less energy being input into a victim, all else being equal.
Clarify for me what you're asking me here.
Quote:
I always discuss the entire defensive complex.
You're talking only about the visible physical portion. I'm talking about the invisible fields.
Quote:
See answers to Keroko. Alternatively, you might prefer Tk3997's inertial dampening theory. Either way, it does not follow that higher KE inputs equal lower energy transferred to mage!
Your response to Keroko are not exactly relevant to what we are discussing. I already pointed out what I think about TK's theory, its fantasy science as well, not the hard science you're so fond of.