View Single Post
Old 2006-03-28, 01:49   Link #17
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR
Its not that I doubt you a second but I'm postitive I still hear "Hentai!" in some anime these days, in the way of.. "when dealing with a pervert" situations. :P So, if I may go further, hentai means pervert in the mind of some mangakas. So that would mean the japanese are also responsable for making the "weirdo" word change into "Pervert". Or else they'd be doing it just to please us, north american~ne? ^-^

Do you think this has anything to do with the world of anime being much apart from the real world's aesthetic? I guess not.
"Someone who acts strangely" = "hentai" That's the original definition. So if a guy in the middle of the night is peeping through people's homes (i.e. a girl taking a shower), he is acting strangely. That's why he is a "hentai." Hence, the wording was used interchangeably.

These subtleties of Japanese is what make this language difficult - as much as synonyms in the English language has their similarities yet with distinctive tones of usage.

Besides, "hentai" is an adjective used to describe a person's actions. It is odd to have it used as an adjective to describe an inanimate object like a game or an anime.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote