Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-06, 13:39   Link #90
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm surprised that so many people are seemingly dismissing the systematic bullying aspect here. I haven't seen bullying come up a lot in anime, or in manga, but just about every time it does, there's a certain idea that it conveys:

If an individual starts being nice to the person being systematically bullied, and hangs out a lot with that person, than this individual is likely to get bullied himself/herself.

The look in Taichi's eyes when he saw Chihaya talk more and more with Arata struck me much more as simple concern than outright jealousy. I very much think that Taichi was sincerely worried that a lot of the class would turn on Chihaya if she was seen as getting too close to the "marked" Arata.

I'd encourage people to watch the anime movie Colorful, as well as Shigofumi Episode 6 to see what I'm referring to here.
Except that's not what happened in the show. The sequence goes as follows:

- Taichi sees Chihaya talking to Arata.
- Taichi gets angry and slams the door on his locker.
- Short cut.
- Taichi pushes Arata in a direct parallel to the previous shot.
- Taichi gets hurt and defensive as Chihaya reacts.

There's no concern here at all, and the only character to even suggest bullying Chihaya is Taichi himself. In context, this talk of "ostracism" is less a warning than it is a threat.

It's a very simply composed and effectively directed scene so there isn't a whole lot of room for ambiguity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
What calorie and myself meant by "slice of life" was slower paced everyday living content, which is what a lot of people mean by "slice of life". I do not agree with the notion that slice of life is strictly about atmosphere, and can't be about characters.
What you're describing is called "drama". I thought that I had missed a scene somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This would have made an excellent fit for NoitaminA, though I suppose we should be glad it's getting 25 eps instead of 22.
noitaminA has become a haven for shows like Black Rock Shooter nowadays.