View Single Post
Old 2013-09-23, 22:48   Link #9
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Visual novels are basically young adult fiction in terrible packaging. The prose is usually pretty bad even in Japanese and the translations tends to mangle it towards utterly unreadable. If you really really really enjoy juvenile anime plots and want them to be unbearably dragged out for a million words (people tend to talk about how just how incredibly fucking wordy visual novels are as if it was an accomplishment; I believe I've heard people smugly claim F/SN is longer than the collected works of Shakespeare, which would insult the bard terribly, since after all he's the one who said "brevity is the soul of wit") then visual novels will be just the thing for you, but if not, you should really save your time and go check a regular thriller or romance novel at your local library.
I think the length as a positive factor is derived from video game standards.

VNs are substantially branching off from adventure games and are still considered "games" even if some of them have completely lost any "gaming" aspect.

Now for games length is an important factor because it tells the costumers how long they can derive entertainment from the product before having to buy another, which in turns justifies the generally high price.

The problem is that quantity doesn't always equal quality. And adding more stuff to read doesn't work as well as adding more gameplay.
2 liters of wine are better than 1 liter of wine but 2 liters of wine mixed with water is just bad and a fraud too.

Perhaps when the producers and the costumers will realize that VNs aren't games anymore they will also realize that length isn't something that should be considered a positive factor in itself.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote