View Single Post
Old 2013-09-23, 23:00   Link #10
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceanreve View Post
Ever17 was interesting though I eventually got bored as I neared the You good ending (and I have to play through four endings to get the "real" plotline/ending or whatever) and I googled a synopsis. Interesting concept, but I don't understand why people think it is the most amazing VN.
Hate to say it but you really did just spoil yourself. The moment where one of the major subplots "clicked" for me in the final arc was one of the most memorable fiction-related moments in my life, the kind of thing that only comes along ever few years.

I'd have to say for me personally that and the immensely satisfying ending explain a lot about why I love the game so much. I actually agree that unlocking the true path gets to be a bit of a chore after a bit, even for an experience VN player like me..

@Jan-Poo: Being a busy person I'm not a fan of stories that endlessly drag on, but I tend to get much, much more invested in VNs than stories told as anime or manga, and I'd tend to credit the slower paced, more introspective nature of the format with some of that.

Or maybe it is just that length allows me to get immersed, padded or not. The only conventional computer game I've gotten as invested in as a VN in recent memory was Dragon Age: Origins and I clocked more hours in that than any VN I've played. Might have had trouble finishing it if not for the fact I had like a month before the job I had lined up started at the time. In contrast, VNs I've often had to balance with classes or other obligations - I usually tell people that if they want me to play a particularly VN, don't emphasize it will take me 50 hours to complete. Because that makes me less likely to start.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2013-09-23 at 23:32.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote