View Single Post
Old 2013-09-24, 05:51   Link #14
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Visual novels are basically young adult fiction in terrible packaging. The prose is usually pretty bad even in Japanese (especially if it's written by Nasu, who wrote F/SN) and the translations tends to mangle it towards utterly unreadable. If you really really really enjoy juvenile anime plots and want them to be unbearably dragged out for a million words (people tend to talk about how just how incredibly fucking wordy visual novels are as if it was an accomplishment; I believe I've heard people smugly claim F/SN is longer than the collected works of Shakespeare, which is ironic since after all he's the one who said "brevity is the soul of wit") then visual novels will be just the thing for you. If not, you should really save your time and go check out a regular thriller or romance novel at your local library.
I would say you haven't read the really good ones out there but meh...

And for the record, Mushroom's stuff isn't "good" more as "read it for what it is if you enjoy that kind of stuff." His plots seem to go downhill from when he first started. So yeah...using him as a yardstick is quite...<__<