View Single Post
Old 2009-12-19, 19:20   Link #537
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicman View Post
First, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy that people still remember Xenogears. Those were the days...
Indeed. That was definitely one of the highlights of the PSX era and it's a pity how nothing else has been done with that universe. No, Xenosaga wasn't really the same thing, as much as it admittedly came close.

Quote:
Second, the analogy is indeed apt with regards to storytelling, but a fair number of people preferred the second disc of Xenogears to the first, due to all the plot revelations, the faster pace (some felt the first disc was too slow paced), and questions actually being answered. R2 also had more plot and a faster pace, but it didn't answer many of R1's questions and it squandered/abandoned more subplots, in addition to feeling rushed.
Well, there are enough people who also prefer R2 to the first season, if polls are any indication, so it depends on your perspective. That would not be my personal opinion, of course, but there's no way to deny it at this point. R2 might have lost something in terms of critical quality but it maintained the franchise's overall popularity. I don't think we would even be talking about new Geass projects if that weren't the case.

I would also say that R2 did answer certain questions, mind you, it just didn't do so as thoroughly nor as carefully as many expected. Which is, ironically enough, something that one of these new projects could potentially address.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote