View Single Post
Old 2011-07-04, 04:58   Link #5165
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Actually I think the numbers are a PR thing. And despite what analysts claim these patents are worth the money. Because patents are sort of a bargaining tool, especially for IT/tech related businesses.

If you hold patents that are essential for other businesses you can gain access to their patents (for cooperating businesses that means free technologies for the cooperating parties) if you wish or you could deny others access (this is what big corporation usually does in the case of rivals).

Technically that gives big corporation (who hold vast amounts of patents) a competitive advantage over smaller businesses or start ups that have to license every patent they need.

The patent market is not so much about money as it is about control over access to technologies. Its like technological imperialism.
But the thing is that technology often outdates itself faster than we know. Who knows, in 10 years down the road we would have holophones and holonets and all these telephony systems will simply be sitting ducks in the next wave of technology revolution.

Unlike Microsoft which has a perpetual hold on the tech market through its OS, the lack of earnings meant that Nortel's patents had alternatives, so buying them wouldn't be much of future use as they might be relegated to being legacy devices in probably less than a decade or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Someone is an ace E-bay troll bidder and sublimely brilliant - especially if it so easily confused competitive bidders.
Actually I do bids in prime numbers when I seriously want an item from an auction. *runs*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote