View Single Post
Old 2011-09-24, 14:08   Link #48
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Silly argument, when you consider that Ringo made Shou strip so a frog could give birth on him, made him move her belongings twice, forced him to crawl under a house with her, drugged him so she could rape his teacher and would be dead if it weren't for him. I guess in the world of anime that means a little curtness on his part merits a severe beating and she merits a gentle kiss of the cheek.
While I agree that Ringo certainly has some serious karmic debt built up, it doesn't change the fact that she deserves to be punished for those actions, and not for the good action of trying to protect Shouma.

Sort of reminds me of a side story from a certain book I read once. An infamous smuggler sneaks a ship full of onions past a blockade to a Lord trapped in a siege, getting him enough supplies to allow him to win.

After the siege is done, the Lord chops off the fingers of the smuggler as punishment for his years of lawbreaking, and then raises him to knight as a reward for his delivery of onions.

Now imagine if the Lord had instead decided not to punish the smuggler for his smuggling years, but instead punished him for the onion delivery?

From a karmic perspective, yes Ringo deserved it. But from the perspective of the specific event in question, she most definitely did not.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?