View Single Post
Old 2013-03-03, 14:17   Link #200
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The market is shifting, all right--shifting for the worse.

As for which F2P MMOs are trash, it'd be easier to list the ones that aren't trash... which I can't even think of any offhand. Maybe LOTRO, which was subscription-based to begin with.
There's nothing inherent that makes it of lesser quality. Or suggests such a model doesn't work. Blizzard's battle.net games, while not MMOs, have been F2P, and highly popular with very intensive support for more than a decade. It's a system that's been proven to work.

Whether it's a criticism against anime or games, I am not able to take one seriously unless their criticisms are more specific. All I get is a bunch of causation that doesn't lead to correlation. I'm all for bashing shit, but there's a fine line between a legitimate analysis and just elitist hot air where one just talks about pandering to the LCD, the later of which is too common on the internet.

I mean it's fine to think that way, but there's just nowhere a discussion can go. And yes, I realize this topic was pretty crappy to begin with anyways, since it's built upon a false premise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I mean, even if what you're saying were "objectively true", who are you to say that the fun that people have with those "shovelware F2P MMOs" isn't just as high? Who is to say that the model of "play for a while, enjoy it, then move on" isn't okay? If you can get 30-40 hours of enjoyment of something without paying a cent, maybe that's okay? Obviously it's not your preference, but that doesn't mean your preference is inherently better.
Indeed. My argument was that people wouldn't feel pressured to continue on a subscription basis. "Oh I must play out my subscription". The idea is freedom to play the game on your own terms rather than being lured into a senseless grind. Honestly, I'd be hard pressed to believe that would decrease a game's "depth". And MMOs can be largely played for the social aspect anyways.

I would definitely lament rushed games that are cynically produced and contain many bugs, flaws, and features missing that try to distract people with a few hours of flashy graphics and turns out to be a waste of time. But that isn't a new thing. At all.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote