View Single Post
Old 2013-05-14, 17:00   Link #4007
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

I finished Kaho's route in Unmei Yohou o Oshirase Shimasu. Honestly, that VN is a very mixed bag. The light-hearted moments were very enjoyable and even some of the serious topics were handeld quite well for my taste. But, the makers added still too much heavyness/drama overall.

Why? 1. The structure: 4 girls of where you have 2 choices for the first two: Accept thhe confession or reject*, and for the latter two a simple "I like x or y" decision. Okay, that were all choice-selections in the VN. Given the serious tones of some plot elements of the MC,*the former will leave you with a bitter feeling in EITHER case. The flow of story, as example of Kaho's route, is first confession rejected -> move on the character bonding of girl 2 -> confession rejected -> character bonding of girl 3 and Kaho -> choose Kaho -> her "main route" and more drama. Sure, all girls move eventually on from being rejected, but it gave still a rather strange or tacked feeling of the story flow.

2. The MC had either way rather harsh events in the past, which obviously have been influencing heavily his present self. And while those elements were used well enough within the plot, it gave also the impresson that the writers overdid it, even if only to a degree, in making him flawed/"tainted". That special case ruined, for example, the very good interaction between Mizuki-chan and he, which was developed/shown throughout the VN by the way, when he had decided to reveal his worse past-self. Let's ignore that in the end they could return to being friends, it felt simply too much of a "hey more drama and heavy atmosphere for ya!"
And the scene changes happened, regardless of minor ones or major ones, abruptly, i. e. with the BGM stopping suddenly and the screen shift to the next location. There's no smooth fade out? Don't know how to properly call it

Anyway, based on my personal bias I would have loved a more comedy/lightheared approach or at least the normal amount of dama like in the GIGA VNs that dealth with a similar scenario of an item helping in finding true love.
Personal conclusion, as I doubt the other routes will change much of the current impression: A story with a sweet, but generic synopsis, that has its fair share of serious topics. Ignoring the point that the MC was painted as maybe too "damaged", the VN is a rare case where a social inapt/unskilled MCs was rather well done. In contrast to, eg. CureGirl. The female cast was very likeable, especially the MC's, Soujirou, interaction with Mizuki. Probably my favorite moments in the VN. His self-proclaimed "best friend" was very annoying, again him messing with the MC was way overdone, unless that was the point. The BGM whenever he would show up was kept gloomy? and I mostly skipped his scenes during the latter half of Kaho's route. The for me non-satisfying structure of my afore-mentioned "1." dampened the mood, however.
-> Might be worth to check it out, but remaining careful while doing so is to be recommended from my point of view.

Last edited by Mahou; 2013-05-15 at 16:05.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote