View Single Post
Old 2012-09-30, 19:23   Link #13
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
The i5 3570 is probably the best value around at the moment.

I'm building a new PC myself at the moment, and I'm thinking of getting a Solid State Drive. They've come down a lot in price, you can get maybe 128GB for ~$100, which is more then enough to story your OS and frequently used programs. If you keep a standard HDD for media storage and less used programs, then the solid state should really improve your loading speeds.

What Motherboard are you going for? I've had difficulty choosing.
The motherboard I intend to get is the Asus P8Z77-V (LGA 1155 type socket): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131820

I decided to go with that motherboard after looking at reviews for other Asus motherboards. For starters, I have been using this neogaf thread as a groundwork for what system to get: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869 Check in the chart that shows components for different builds. I went with components from an enthusiast build, which still uses things that are the best bang for the buck (like an i5 3570K over some much more expensive i7 processor).

I first was gonna go with the Asus board that thread recommends, but I find that reviews are better for the Asus board I linked to. 85% of the reviews are for either 5 out of 5 stars or 4 out of 5 stars (68% for 5 out of 5). 10% are 1 out of 5 stars, 2% for 2 out of 2, and 2% for 3 out of 5 (I don't know where the last 1% is). This is out of 87 reviews. I also read reasons people gave for 1 out of 5 reviews and some were things that just won't apply to me (such as overclocking a certain processor, using a certain computer component which I'm not going to buy).

You shouldn't totally go by reviews on this site, but I like to look at reviews for hardware from that site and seek out products that have a high amount of reviews that are 5 out of 5 and 4 out of 5 vs. the lower reviews, and I like to read reasons why people give low reviews and sometimes reading why people give high reviews is helpful, too. It is something to go by. It better informs me the reliability of a certain product. For example, I was going to go with a certain card reader/writer (for SD cards and other cards), and I found it had a 3 out of 5 overall review score there, and I was reading from many people that gave it a 1 out of 5 that the reader would cause photos to be deleted from their SD cards or that it would do things like interfere with how system restore points are saved. So I looked around for a card reader/writer that is much more reliable and not prone to corrupting and erasing data.

Ask me if you need recommendations for any components. I'll recommend some I've looked up and bookmarked.