View Single Post
Old 2004-06-25, 19:15   Link #6
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_Burn
The first game i've played w/ a outstanding plot... especially the plot on Halo 2... better than Halo itself...
How the heck are you playing Halo 2 already? The plot will probably be great, but until we actually play it we won't know if they drop the ball halfway through.

#1 - Xenogears. Insanely epic, think my first time through the game had run 80 hours and I still wanted more. When you think about it the story of this game begins at the Genesis of the planet and climaxes at the Apocalypse of the planet. Also one of the few rpgs where you can easily differentiate between your character at the beginning and end of the game. I mostly mean the gears, but what I mean is in the development of the plot your characters have become stronger by finding these larger more powerful gears so when it comes time for this epic battle at the end you feel you're ready. In a game like FFX you get the summons as part of the plot but that's only Yuna, there are other skills and equipment you can get but they're optional/side quests and not a part of the central plot. [spoiler]My favorite part of the plot dealt with the reincarnations of Fei and Elly and how Fei was always powerless to protect/save Elly in the past -- I'm a sucker for a good love story[spoiler]

#2 - FFX. I liked ten's plot, but I hated the linear gameplay. You start at point A you go to point B than you go to point C. It makes sense since you're seeing the world through Tidus and you're just tagging along for the ride but previous games had been more open. The plot just had plenty of memorable moments and the points where you discover new things that answer questions about the world. Why did Tidus get brought to this world? How does Auron exist in both? What happens after Yuna beats Sin, and why does Sin always return? Game had a great ending too, but with the sequel it seems that the ending loses some of its meaning.
Spoiler:

#3 - Kingdom Hearts. Okay, it's a kids game, but Squaresoft did a good job of keeping the plot interesting enough without diluting it too much for the kiddies. Yes there is gonna be a lot of talk about "hearts" and "friendship" but the plot was still very good. You have to rush around trying to save these worlds from falling to the heartless as well as find your missing friends. Some incredibly epic battles to as you fight these enormous boss monsters that tower over your character. The game managed to be faithful to both the disney crowd and the squaresoft crowd and that was quite a feat.

Debated putting FFVI in instead of #2 or #3 but it's alot older and hard to find. Also debated some FPS's like Half Life, but the plotls in FPS's usually seem poorly paced and you tend to hop around from one level to the next w/o a clear overall objective at times. Take Half Life I can't even remember the plot at the middle of the game, just that I was fighting human soldiers. First and third part were dealing w/ this invading alien nemesis and trying to close off the link that was letting them jump worlds.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote