View Single Post
Old 2008-03-10, 12:11   Link #14
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

I don’t see Aokiji going anywhere. If he were going to leave the Marines or be exiled for his actions it would’ve happened by now. Not only is he fairly good at keeping his frowned upon activities secret the Marines and the WG are way too undermanned or powerful enough to let such a powerful character go. Look at Kuma who failed to do his duty but remained a Shichibukai. Look at Garp whose son is an infamous pirate and yet he’s still a marine and a high ranked one at that.

What I see happening is as follows at some point during the story perhaps towards it’s ends Luffy will have faced most if not all the major proponents of absolute justice and defeated them resulting in either a change of heart or removal from the Marines ala Morgan. Furthermore the WG has been set up to fall but the Marines are necessary for the OP world to have any semblance of order. It’s all well and good for the Marines to use the terror tactics when they’re only answerable to a Gvt that supports the use of fear as a means of control but once it’s ousted they’ll be answerable to the very people they terrorised probably in the form of the Council of Kings (there’s almost no chance they’ll be free to do as they please with no one giving them orders) thus they’ll likely need to be more people friendly thus no absolute justice. As a result of the above mentioned defeats and change in philosophy many ranks will be opened up allowing for the promotion of characters like Coby and Smoker who’ve stated their desire for increased rank. I see Aokiji becoming Fleet Commander, as he’s already high ranked and has a tolerable sense of justice.

Now as for Coby I really don’t see why he’d rise up to the position of Admiral with any great speed. The only thing special about him is his determination and his growth rate but even assuming he masters Rokushiki one has to point to the fact that at present the benchmark for Roku users is Base Lucci which whilst impressive isn’t all that amazing. Even assuming he’s a better Roku user than Lucci he’d still need a DF or some sort of hax ability to put him in the Admiral position. Either way I’m sure power isn’t the only requirement for rank otherwise Smoker’d be more than a Commodore and Coby’d be at least a Captain. It seems experience and a bit of ass kissing is necessary and going by Oda’s comment on Smoker and Hina getting their ranks so quickly due to their abilities it’s likely that there’s a bit of ageism at work in the Marines as well. Now this might also change to the above-mentioned reasons but I don’t see all this happening any time soon.