View Single Post
Old 2006-01-04, 14:25   Link #209
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Eclipse
Unhealthy for who and how?
Not enough genetic variation. Ever heard of the term "consanguinity"?

Quote:
And my point is he didn't do that now did he?
And a stupid point it was.

Quote:
In the cartoon they took a person that was not the best for job, removed him from office and replaced him with someone better.
But they explained that "better" was based on genes rather thn accomplishments.

Quote:
The truth remains the it's called evolution not de-evolution.
Exactly what do you mean by "it"?

Quote:
I draw, that doesn't mean I'm as good a drawer as I am at let's say math. I like to draw, but that doesn't make me an artist. Even in something as subjective as art there are standards to judge the "greatness" of an artist. It's called the nine gates of art. So you can judge if someone's a good at something. You can also judge if they're better at other things as well.
When I was a kid, I had near perfect grades in both maths and physics. Who could say in which I was "better"?

And while I didn't have perfect grades in French, I was at the top of my class. Does that tall you I wasn't as good in French as in science, or that the way we were graded was different?

Quote:
Nothing is impossible, that you would hide behind it means you no longer look towards the progress of making that which is deemed "impossible" possible. There were a lot of things that were thought be "impossibilities" in the past that are now commonly accept as easily acchieved
There is nothing to indicate that such feats of control are possible in the CE universe. Or that they wouldn't make the subjects crazy. (Just look at the extendeds...)

Quote:
"It can't" is just an escape for those that don't want to try.
I can't turn off the sun. I'm pretty sure it's not just a matter of "trying".

Quote:
limps can be replaced through transplantation. Even by todays standard we can replace or reattach some limbs that have been served. The Cosmic Era seems to have far more advancements in medical technology than we do.
And while one twin is in the hospital relearning to wiggle his toes, the other's training.

Quote:
Again, it's not solely nature. It's nature in a controlled nuturing environment
And I'm:
- having serious doubt on the feasibility of controlling the environments (remember that you'll need a lot of them, because you'll want many different people, and different people react differently to the same environment)
- not sold on the uselessness of looking at the results of your genes and "controled environment", and instead just looking at the genes.

Quote:
The idea is that both learned to read an write. The idea is both were taught the same. What makes them different are their genes. The person with genetic genius will far surpass the person without it.
You don't get it, do you? Genius isn't an a priori thing. Even if you clone a genius, the clone won't be a genius until and unless he actually does somethign deserving of the name, in the same way a murderer's clone won't be a murderer until and unless he actually murders somebody.

It's the same for less impressive statuses such as competence. You aren't competent at your job until and unless you're doing your job competently. And yet Destiny Plan would grant you the status solely on the basis of your genes. Of some obscure notion of "potential".

Quote:
In the pasted 100 years more people have died because of war than in another other century of the passed. The Rawanda killing fields saw more death than the massacre of Adolf Hitler's reign of terror. Our society turns out more sociopathic criminals than the historical societies of Rome, China, Japan, Greece.
That would be because we have more people, and pay more attention to such thing. Cucifixion is an atroicty nowadays, not a normal punishment.

I'll base myself on something I know better than the history of Rwanda. Not that it's saying much. Western Europe. Compare the medieval times, with its constant warfare at both the international and local warfare, and now, where, despite being much more free, don't spend all of our time making war on each other.

Quote:
We take children and neglect them to the point that they develop social disorders, and give them the proper psychological motivation to carry out acts like colombin
Or we've got so much leisure time to think about things we actually came up with the notion of social disorder. Whatever.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote