View Single Post
Old 2011-10-26, 23:55   Link #20
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Pretty good season, as good as spring this year if not better. From worst to best:

The Trash Tier (Dropped and not looking back)

Name of Series: Cube x Curse x Curious
Episodes Watched: 2
Rating: /10
Comments: It's pretty looking and the OP's animation is really fluid, but my god everything else about this series is facepalm worthy. Retarded plot, bad characters and just awful, awful fanservice. And the action scene in episode 2 came outta no where and was just wtf. This series was just overall just plain offensive. Oh Shin Oonuma, how low you have fallen since your high days of directing ef tale of memories/melodies.

Name of Series: Persona 4
Episodes Watched: 3
Rating: 3/10
Comments: The most disappointing series of the season, maybe even the year. I really wanted to like this series, but I just can't. Although I admit that having played the original game partly contributed to this, but man is the directing in this terrible. Pacing is off, it's way too goofy and childish compared to the games where it had style (this has NO style). I should have known that Seiji Kishi directing would be trouble considering Angel Beats had the exact same pacing problems.

Name of Series: Shakugan no Shana Season 3
Rating: 4/10
Comments: A long time ago, Shana was one of my gateway animes back in 2005 or so. I loved it then, but not so much now. So I decided that I should attempt to finish the franchise that once upon a time I loved. Turns out it was a terrible idea. Yes 2nd season was bad, but this season is even worse because pretends that the events at the end of the 2nd season didn't exist. And what's up with Yuuji suddenly turning into a bad guy and having a douche hairstyle . I am aware that it's trying to be faithful to the LN, but jeez, at least attempt to link the anime original ending to the LN JC Staff you lazy pricks.

C-Tier (Will watch if nothing else to do or else not of high priority)

Name of Series: Kimi to Boku
Rating: 5/10
Comments: Initially I thought the show was ok, then I realized after episode 2 that this was gender-reversed K-on. There is some midly amusing character interactions between the boys but I can't help but feel that there are yaoi vibes everywhere. Classic example is a guy brushing another guy's hair. Or that really effeminate guy. Don't think I'll be following this one.

Name of Series: Senjou no Horizon
Episodes Watched: 1
Rating: 5.5/10
Comments: This was really goofy and childish, but it had some nice mech designs. Not really interested at the moment but I did hear that after episode 4 it gets better so I might give it another chance... one day.

Name of Series: Tamayura Hitotose
Rating: 6/10
Comments: This was just really boring for me. I guess the nostalgic background elements of the main female lead's father was nice, but otherwise I felt really bored. And what's up with her best friend crying so much? I haven't seen that much crying since Anohana . Might give it another chance when I'm in a better mood, but not atm.

Name of Series: Bakuman 2
Episodes Watched: 1
Rating: 6/10
Comments: I watched the first season, and thought it was ok but really slow. I'm guessing the 2nd season will be pretty similar so I may marathon this when it finishes airing.

Name of Series: Hunter x Hunter
Rating: 6.5/10
Comments: Was not bad. Unfortunately, shonens are likely my least favourite genre (outside of ecchi, but I never watch those) so I admit I'm biased here. Same reason I couldn't follow Ao no Exorcist. Perhaps one day I can break through my anti-shonen barrier.

Name of Series: Gundam Age
Rating: 6.5/10
Comments: Never was a big fan of Gundam, but this was actually not bad. At the very least it's been better than Gundam 00 which was just really emo and too serious. I'll wait how this turns out.

B-Tier (Cutoff for what I'll try to follow on a weekly basis)

Name of Series: Un-Go
Rating: 7/10
Comments: One of the better "Sherlock Homes" style detective shows as of late, but that's because anime tends to fail at it. For now the mysteries are interesting, but I wish Inga wasn't so creepy. One thing that worries me is that the fact it's a 11ep noitamina series. We all know how that ends up usually *cough Fractale, C, No6 cough*

Name of Series: Ben-to
Episodes Watched: 4
Comments: One of the surprises of the season. Was expecting a lame fanservice series, instead got a over-the-top but funny comedy. The level at which the character take discounted lunch sets is hilarious. Great OP that sets the atmosphere and the animation is largely great, particularly for the fight scenes. It does however seem to have a leg/thigh fetish... Following this purely for weekly laughs.

Name of Series: Mirai Nikki
Comments: Having read the manga, so far it's a pretty good adaptation. There are some issues though like the MC being a emo shonen kiddy and some of the plot mechanisms being too farfetched (e.g. Bombs in a middle school), but otherwise it's not bad action/thriller/survival game. The crux is whether you can find Yuno Gasai interesting or not, fortunately I do.

Name of Series: Mawaru Penguindrum
Episodes Watched: 14
Rating: 7.5/10
Comments: The only carryover from last season. I'm actually not sure what to think about this show, but overall I do like it. Sometimes, it's just too damn weird and trippy, but other times it's genuinely intriguing. One thing is for sure though, those penguins are hilarious as hell. So, at the very least, it's pretty good for comedy, but of course that isn't the focus of the series.

Name of Series: Boku wa Tomodachi
Rating: 7.5/10
Comments: Now this is a harem comedy done right. Although the male lead is cynical most of the time, he can be badass and GAR at times. But the real crux is the bantering between Sena and Yozora which is pretty hilarious. All the characters are bunch of "haters", which is a big plus for me . And I'll be lying my ass off if I said some of the fanservice wasn't appealing. I do skip the OP though... reminds me of Denpa Onna's OP...

A-Tier (Watch ASAP)

Name of Series: Guilty Crown
Rating: 8/10
Comments: Production values are off the roof for this one, and I think it's actually probably the best animated series of the year so far. Sexy/cute girls, mechs, rebellion, gung-ho technology, great action scenes, so at the very least, it's very entertaining for me. Although there are some problems like MC being a bit bland and according to some people "too Code Geass like", I think it's getting too much flak for what it deserves. We'll see though how it pans out, but for now, it's a treat like a Hollywood blockbuster action flick would be.

Name of Series: Chihayafuru
Rating: 8.5/10
Comments: Now this is a shojo/josei done right. The director of Nana comes back and strikes another goldmine. The female lead is very fun to watch (reminds me of Ohana from Hanasaku Iroha) and its themes of bullying, friendships and re-establishing friendships were very well executed. The card game "Karuta" is a bonus, as at the moment it seems to be used mainly a plot device for character development. I hope that's the case, although I won't be too disappointed if the card game takes more focus later on. My solid second favorite of the season.

Name of Series: Fate/Zero
Rating: 9/10
Comments: At the moment, it's a serious contender for anime of the year alongside Madoka Magica, Steins Gate and Usagi Drop for me. So far in 4 episodes, I managed to siphon more information and be more entertained than the entirety of DEEN's Fate/Stay Night and Unlimited Blade Works Movie put together. Gen Urobuchi seems to have striken gold again (though I am aware the LNs were written a while ago) and the Aoki Ei (Kara no Kyoukai, Wandering Son, Ga-Rei Zero) is showing his proficiency as an excellent director. Lots of character development, great action themes (when there is some) and great atmosphere. Only criticism I have is that Yuki Kajiura's musical score isn't up to the level I expected it to be. Currently, my favourite of the season.

I would like to try out Last Exile: FAM sometime, but I need to finish S1 first...

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-10-27 at 00:16.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote