View Single Post
Old 2012-12-14, 16:22   Link #1051
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
I disagree. While there's no way to get all the jokes and to assume the dialogue would look exactly like the Japanese version, expecting the character to behave like NA people is equally absurd. It's a Japanese game nevertheless. Characters are named in certain ways for a reason. I don't see the reason to change them.
Why? Its not like the game is set in any real-world location so why are the characters obliged to act like they were intended to as long as the general personality of their character remains the same? If you ask me, expecting them to not be slightly changed is even more absurd when they're trying to appeal to North Americans. Not Japanese.

Quote:
They wouldn't get the reference either way if they're outside the niche - hence no reason to change it. And it's insulting because NISA thinks people are not enough "accustomed" to get it. Why change Warechuu in Pirachu? The Pokemon reference was obvious from the beginning, but for some reason NISA thought people wouldn't get it.
Even I don't know what the hell 'Warechuu" is a reference to unless it's a reference to hardware and software in general. Honestly I like Pirachu more because it's a reference to a franchise me and most North Americans are very familiar with, making it more endearing. If you find it insulting then you're in an incredibly small minority.