View Single Post
Old 2012-07-07, 14:28   Link #28
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Look at it this way: a chronological adaptation allows the relationships to grow better.

It's the difference between watching Season 1 of Leverage according to broadcast (all over the place) and DVD (chronological) order, as with the 2nd you get to see the team slowly working together and gelling into the team they are.

To an extent, while I liked volume one, a number of things, particularly Kirito and Asuna's relationship, did have a feeling of sorta coming outta nowhere, though it did establish that they'd have been friends for a long time.

I'd rather have a chronological adaptation because 1) it makes sense to new viewers and 2) we can actually see the relationship unfold and see them both defrost.

Also, I'm betting that the first 3 quarters of the series will cover SAO, in all of the sidestories - OP shows a scene from Aria in the Starless Night, and we've already seen Scilica, Lizbeth and Sachi - and then the last 8 episodes will cover Fairy Dance, given what I've seen of the cast list on ANN.

Volume One is a good story, but it isn't perfect, because the relationship upgrade seems like it's the result of a near-death experience. It's only after reading the sidestories that it becomes less so, and more clear that it's a friendship of mutual defrosting that evolved into something more.

Volume 1 relationship by itself is like an rifle with iron sights. Volume 1 with sidestories is like an ACR with fixed stock, EO Tech sights, underbarrel grenade launcher, side rail laser aiming module and Surefire taclight, and using PMags instead of standard magazines.

Sorry. Been playing Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.
I completely agree with your post. I think a chronological adaptation be more effective than how Kawahara published the LNs. Different techniques of storytelling need to be used for different mediums, and while publishing all the SS's in volume 2 worked for the LN, it would be an awkward transition from the end of volume 1 to volume 2 in the anime. Short of putting a lot of flashbacks into the series, I don't see how they would manage to integrate the SS's, and even so, the long flashbacks would ruin the flow of the story.