View Single Post
Old 2011-07-08, 22:52   Link #69
Top Gear Tony
The Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Isn't that a bit pretentious of you? Your assumption that the Author is merely living out some fantasy is frankly quite offensive, and to call their works 'fanfiction' is nothing short of insulting.

By your account, all story writers are sad sods that are merely living out fantasies am I right?

And judging by your statements, your measure of a character falls solely on his capability and methods of interacting with the opposite gender, and in a series which had a few more dimension in it's story, that's abit short-sighted of you isn't it?
Ugh, there's something about having the word "pretentious" aimed at me that makes my skin crawl especially since I hate pretentious people with there turtle neck sweaters and there weird sun glasses. Oh wait where was I. Oh and sorry that last post was a bit uncalled for.

Well I certainly got told. I didn't go about explaining that one very well did I. There is a pattern you see. Alot of these manga and light novel writers are single males and most possibly an otaku, when they write a story they most probably wanna project them self's as the courageous stalwart hero of the land. (Hell lots of people do) Now in order to make them seem sincere they give the character that they project onto a default personality, the dense, bewildered teen with a sense of right and wrong. Believe it or not that's a strong possibility. I was being a little bias when I called it a pathetic attempt but I'm just longing for a series like these with some compelling characters. It could be a cash in attempt since the whole boy meets loli girl, love triangle thing is ridding high at the moment but soon enough something's gonna need to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen
A title is whatever the author wants it to be, there's no law that dictates what a title should represent, there's no checklist to tick. The series is named 'Hidan no Aria' because it's about a girl named Aria; your assumption is that it has to be a story from Aria's pov, which doesn't have to be the case. And since it's not from Aria's pov, the Author is free to explore other characters with or without her.
Yes I do assume that it would be from Aria's pov. I didn't go into something like "Alan Wake" thinking it would be form his wife's pov and the same applies here. I've been through too many series like this when I though "hey this looks interesting, I wonder what crazy adventures this character is gonna get herself into." And them I start watching it and go "Oh it's about another hormonal teen looking for something to hump. Well at least I can hope for some interesting chemistry betwe- never mind he's too interested in girls with big boobs to commit to a decent relationship." Maybe this is my own idealistic view but I really hate when it happens.

Jeez we seem to be getting a wee bit off topic.

Last edited by Top Gear Tony; 2011-07-08 at 23:16.