View Single Post
Old 2013-04-30, 15:32   Link #32195
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Well, either way, the 1998 Witch Hunters are incompetent I guess.

One more possible explanation: they don't care about the servants. I don't remember too much specifically about the Witch Hunters, but I do remember that the whole incident was sensationalized by the media and the public. It's likely that most people thought that this was a crime with economic motivation and thus placed nearly all their suspicions on Krauss/Eva/Rudolf/Rosa's family because they KNOW that tensions were incredibly high because of the inheritance issue.

Yeah, it's a dumbass move to ignore dubious points like one person's entire imaginary existence (whether or not there was evidence to support it). But this sort of thing is not unprecedented. Drawing parallels to real life, a vast proportion of followers of unsolved sensational mysteries will draw themselves towards answers that they want to believe even when new information is released which offers a new lead.
"Eva is too suspicious and there's no way to establish her innocence, and boy this would be really interesting if she killed her whole family for money! I want to paint her as a horrible monster because it's easy and satisfying! Well, there certainly IS something suspicious about this Kanon character, but it's easier and more satisfying to explain it with Eva." This is of course an exaggeration, but if you look at these real-life unsolved murders, the media's prime suspects are usually the husband, the boyfriend, the son, even when evidence opens up other possibilities.

I would HOPE that the police would look past such biases in performing their investigations, but to fair, Eva IS really suspicious. (Goes to an island, everyone but her dies, she becomes incredibly rich.)

I'm not surprised that the media didn't focus too much on Kanon, but it is pretty ridiculous for the police to not explore that...
Now I'm not trying to defend the Witch Hunters (lol). I'm just trying to say that while the 1998 is filled with stupid people, it's not something that couldn't possibly happen.
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote