View Single Post
Old 2015-06-21, 05:56   Link #41
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
The point why I started this thread is to actually question this notion we have? Why is it annoying for you that people have their goggles on and see these characters as not straight? Do the characters get ruined because some people think their gay. When people allude same sex friendship to a relationship, does it ruin the characters for you in that very unlikely situation that they could be gay, hence the annoyance?

Yet no one bats an eye when two characters of the opposite sex who are probably just friends get paired off. Why is it (I'm just generalizing from my own observations) that less people get annoyed when this happens on the other hand?
I can't speak for Chiibi, but I do occasionally get irritated with ship-talk. Most are fine as you say, happy to talk about their favourite ships, even offering reasonable arguments an counter arguments as to the merits of said ship.

It's the very insistent and vocal ones that get my goat- the "It's so obvious, you're delusional if you cannot see the romance there" type, when situation can be interpreted in different ways, or there are multiple potential partners. This trait is shared by annoying shippers or all stripes.

The only thing different about "homo-shipping" is the propensity for the irritating shippers to accuse others of being homophobic, being blinded by "het-goggles", or other asinine insults- simply for not investing in the favoured ship. That's likely as irritating to people being accused of being a slave to the yuri/yaoi goggles.

I'm happy to let you ship what you wanna, just don't be a tool to people who aren't interested in it. All that on the proviso that the non-shipper isn't actually homo/trans/etc-phobic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kinomoto
Honestly, I'm glad someone mentioned Wandering Son, because if you want to have gay characters you need a story revolving around them and it shouldn't be a side effect of the romance. We must constantly remind people that there's always a social issue with homosexuality instead of entertaining the idea it can just happen. It's just common sense.
Absolutely. Heck, I'd apply that to romances in general. I'm a sucker for sappy romance slice-of-life stories, but it's all the more amazing if there's an amazing story surrounding the romance.

Just my 2 cents. I hope I didn't ramble too much.

TL;DR. I don't care if you ship, just follow Wheaton's Law when dealing with people who don't share your ship. Please.
Sound of Azure is offline   Reply With Quote