View Single Post
Old 2012-07-02, 04:24   Link #40
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Brilliant. I'd give it 9.5 if I could. All questions that I remember popped up in previous episodes discussion got answered, especially "Why don't they just ask Hougou?" one.

About the outburst scene, I think we have to consider that they (the stuff) intentionally add music, camera angle, voice acting and etc. to make it dramatic. After all, they want to show that he's serious.

Once you take that into account, I don't think it's over dramatized. For all we know, Houtarou has been living a grey life. He never think he has any talent (Implied in episode 7 that it's most likely because he's constantly overshadowed by his sister.) This is the first time he was told he is needed. He's special, and no one else can do it. Then he realized it's all a lie. I might not go and confronted the person who said it like he did, but I'll certainly feel like crap like he was.

I said last time that Irisu is a good leader, but not a great one. This episode strengthen that idea. There is no loyalty in her leadership, since all she can is "force" people to do things for her, directly or indirectly. She cannot "ask for a favor" from people. People will eventually realized, like Houtarou did, and get sick of it sooner or later.

In any case, I stated to understand why this series is described as "the bitter-sweetness of growing up." This is a realistic version of growing up. It's not a story about Houtarou realized his talent, become a great detective, and goes on to solve "exciting" mysteries. It's about realizing the non-idealistic world. Exciting "Rose-colored life" can backfire on you like it did to Sekitani Jun. Or people will say all kind of irresponsible thing to get the result they want, like Irisu did to him. Similar to when Eru realized that the sibling relationship is neither her ideal or Houtarou's opposite version of it, but something in between.

He's becoming an adult. One that have to survive in this cruel world. Maybe his sister is trying to make him learn about that?

Last edited by Hyper; 2012-07-02 at 04:58.