View Single Post
Old 2012-12-18, 11:36   Link #1
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

We will stop watching anime, when we stop dreaming?

I know many here only watched anime as another form of entertainment (like Hollywood movie) so what i'm gonna say may not apply to us all....

But six years ago, in the high of my anime addiction, a constant question always float over my head: "how can i ever stop watching anime?". Back then it has became a part of my life, a form of passion, a high form of entertainment that encourage my spirit and get me through the deepest stress. During that time, I constantly questioned myself on how anime can do such deeds, and why book, movie, games can't quite do the same.

Anyway, was busy with study, uni and private life. And then gradually, in recent years, i started to feel like i lost something, and like there is a gap somewhere in my life. It's like in those fictional movies when they clear the main character's memories of a dear friend, and he constantly feel like something was missing. Now i'm still not quite sure the (lack of) passion toward anime was causing that. But recently, just by chances, i looked at some anime i watched 6, 8 years ago. And suddenly i started to have that nostalgic feeling about the excitement, the determinations, justice, and naivety which i once had, that once ride me through some crazy time. It was so strong that it started to make me admiring my past self, and miss those passionate feelings.

Anyway, to get straight into the point. You probably called it "growing-up", "becoming more realistic", "facing reality". But if that is the case, is it the reason why we loves anime so much? Because it's unrealistic beautiful, ideal, and simplistic? Because power of love, friendships, loyalty can surpass anything? Because passion, determination, respect will always carry us through the hardest time? And there is clear black and white, and bitter taste is followed by after-sweetness?

And once we stops believing in those thing, that is when anime is nothing more than a childish show to us?