View Single Post
Old 2013-05-18, 10:57   Link #92
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyang View Post
Well to be fair...she's only seen 1 other Level 5 in her life [The Queen] and up until now. Apart from a certain protagonist who can negate her attacks, no one has been able to stop her attacks, let alone "Reflect" it. She has never seen Accelerator before, and it was only moments later after seeing his power and listening to him talk, that she figures it out.

And as someone else said, she was under a lot of stress + anger. So I doubt she had much time to think rationally anyway.
If by stress and anger, you mean that the stress and anger made her forget he was a Level 5 then that would make more sense. I was pretty sure she at least knew the guy was Level 5 based on what she read of the experiment before coming to the site but it was a pretty indirect way of knowing so it might not have completely factored in her mind.

She's already seen her Iron sand attack being repelled by someone who she can only assume is Level 5 or below and I don't think it takes any degree of rationality to be not be surprised at something. The problem though with saying that it's just about the stress is that it undermines what the scene was trying to achieve in the first place. Misaka being surprised at Accelerator repelling the Iron sand was meant to be an indication to the audience of how strong Accelerator is. It's a very obvious narrative device: The aim is that in making the POV character surprised, it's a cue that the audience is meant to be as well, so the aim is actually for the audience to be surprised via Misaka. And Misaka's surprise has to be genuine, otherwise there's no reason for the audience's surprise to be genuine. So now in explaining one question we've only raised another. I prefer my theory in that it was just different than the one she tried on Touma.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote