Thread: Crunchyroll White Album (All Episodes, 1-26)
View Single Post
Old 2009-01-08, 09:34   Link #195
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
It bothers me to see people classifying what I regard as true emotion as "angst." It just seems like a way of dismissing feelings that deserve to be taken seriously. I think of these things as emotional depth.
Well, admittedly there is a pretty fine line between emotional depth and angst. Like most things, the difference between emotional and angsty is pretty much extent, and angst is usually used to label something when the use of emotions becomes excessive. I also think characters play a very important role in stories like this. If a story is largely driven by emotions but the characters aren't sympathetic, than what connection does the audience have to what's happening on screen? In that case, it's no surprise when they don't find it a particularly compelling experience or that they even find it annoying. Characters are everything in a story like this. It's what allows something like Marimite to be in the very centre of angst city but still be a thoroughly absorbing experience, but the exact same reason why I ended up finding True Tears to be so disappointing, especially considering how promising it was to begin with.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote