View Single Post
Old 2012-02-26, 07:50   Link #201
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
And some of the complaints are valid. Whilst you may think some people are overreacting, people like me find it difficult to see why people can't see a significant difference in the level of fanservice/ecchi in Nise compared to Bake.
On the other hand, I can understand why other people wish to find a difference

Quote:
I don't give a rat's ass about whether or not one LN was more/less fanservice centric compared to each to other or in their animated adaptations. An anime should be assessed on the anime itself, or else this will be like trying to argue something like Persona 4 is a great anime because it's dead loyal to its source material. That's a load of bollocks if you ask me. What works in a manga, LN or game does not always work in a visual animated or motion picture medium.
That's another discussion, irrelevant to the episode. In short, I don't like P4 loyalty, I hated Kurokami for butchering the source, and am undecided on Bake- skipping certain parts of the novel to make it a little more accessible or less expensive.

But as long as an anime is adapting another medium, how it does so, is of centre concern, whether one is familiar with the original or not. If for no other reason, the manga/LN/games sell much more than BD/DVDs.

Quote:
I came into the Monogatari franchising liking the dialogue and character interactions in Bakemonogatari. Fanservice was there but I didn't mind too much (cept for the Nadeko Snake arc). Nisemonogatari retains largely the great dialogue and character interactions when it chooses to do so, but unfortunately half the time it seems to go off-course and instead of developing character or moving the plot, muck around with whatever otaku fetish they feel like exploring. Half the time. I don't recall Bake resorting to this amount.
I liked it for the same reasons, but not being bothered by eroticism and absurdity (the opposite actually) helps a lot, since they are integral plot elements throughout the series. For example in that abominable scene, try to pay attention to Koyomi's shift in the way he is thinking, it is one of the best shifts of perspective I have heard/read (in anime/manga)... instead of raging over the circumstances... My point is that the dialogue is always great independent of the pretext for writing it.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote