View Single Post
Old 2008-05-12, 16:07   Link #50
zetsubousensei
zoku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
A bit hit and miss, IMO. I really think this show struggles with atmosphere, and it only has itself to blame. For something which is supposed to be fairly dark and serious (it has this "in love with the night" feel about it that, if I were more familiar with the fandom, I'd be able to describe more succinctly), it has far too much pointless light comic relief. They're always little things, but they're too frequent, and they just kill the atmosphere.

Personally, I don't think this show is really bringing anything new to the vampire mystery subgenre. Vampire hunters, ex-human vampires slowly losing their mind, overly romantic vampires with mind-blowing powers. I guess the overwhelmed female lead at the centre of all this is somewhat original, but the only thing that I think this is doing that genuinely stands out is the deliberate pacing.

It's pretty obvious that Kaname is being less than sincere about certain things.
You know what? I'd have to agree with you there. While watching some of the episodes I would think back and be like...did this even happen in the manga? I remember what got me utterly hooked onto the manga was the dark storyline and the solemn mood. I remember a few times in the anime Zero would be sarcastic and I would think back to the manga and I don't believe there were many instances where he was...it does have these random funny moments which I also think ruin the really serious atmosphere at times. I feel sometimes its lacking intenseness.