Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-28, 18:11   Link #342
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
On the other hand, her characterizations of her Meijin and Queen speak fairly definitively on the genius side of the argument. She is too much of a realist to believe otherwise.
Yes, I think she clearly emphasized the difference in the queen match, the two characters who faced each other were the exemplification of talent/genius versus doing-your-best. Where the former overpowered the latter, twice. That's where I felt the line I was speaking before was exposed the most. In a corner the winning genius, alone, and in the other corner the losing one, supported by all her club.
And I think Chihaya is swaying just in the middle. And even if I had the feeling that she will go to the genius-side sooner or later (or it's just that I'd find it interesting), on the other hand definitely that doesn't seem to be in the intentions of the author. So, for now I have no clues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
And Taichi is hardly a convincing Everyman: that phenomenal memory puts him in the genius category too. And both Tsutomu and Kana are also little geniuses, what with the Sabremetrics and the astounding poetry knowledge--it's no surprise they are somewhat asocial too. Taichi & Team Mizusawa do illustrate the value of hard work and self-improvement, but with the proviso you start with some exceptional ability.
On this aspect I agree with Anh_Minh, both Tsutomu and Kana have their abilities and/or interests, but nothing outstanding. And their are asocial not because they want to or due to some peculiarity of them, but more like because they are subjected to it.
Taichi is more debatable, I could say that his memory skills are useless if related to Karuta. But I still remember when he said to Tsutomu, to convince him joining the club, that he preferred someone who sweats on the tatami instead of a genius. So to me it's like the author made clear that Taichi had really no skills for Karuta. And the show basically confirmed that, so far. Btw, I remember that line because that's where he won me over
So even if i disagree on some argumentation I can agree that maybe the goal for Team Mizusawa / Chihaya is winning remaining as and who they are.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote