View Single Post
Old 2013-02-03, 13:55   Link #166
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In fact, the change is so great that I'm wondering if it's not a deliberate characterization shift on the part of JC Staff. In other words, perhaps we're looking at an intentional character reinterpretation. Perhaps JC Staff wants Kanata to come off as this highly colorful and embittered girl with a real mean streak towards her sister since her sister has what she wants (including a possible relationship with Riki, and the broader camaraderie within the Little Busters).
Except that change does -not- make sense with Kanata's position and attempts so far. She was of course subject to envy, but even so, she put that past her in order to keep the statu quo so Haruka won't have the backlash.
And considering people reactions I've seen left and right, the majority miss the point of Kanata's position exactly because JC staff writers had the "good" idea to brush over critical scenes that would give much more nuance and actual humanity to Kanata, instead of hamfisting a sadistic nature.
Even if they at least kept the "unhappy talk" and her nostalgic talk with Kudo (and yet people didn't notice how she was brushing her hair ornament being the EXACT same as Haruka's), but was completely brushed aside with the "do you like me?" smile moment. It is just gratuitious and will lead to even more problem for the conclusion and potentially her own arc, if JC staff decides to give a go for her route.

Quote:
I can't say for sue if I'd prefer that or not over game!Kanata, but I can kind of see why JC Staff has taken the course they have. Honestly, anime!Kanata does sound more fun than game!Kanata given the way you describe game!Kanata. But then, game!Kanata might be more nuanced, in fairness.
She isn't supposed to be entertaining to watch: in fact, the pretense of being an antagonist for Haruka was supposed to be obvious, with the actual truth being noticeable and progressively dropped exactly because it is meaningless to keep up the exaggerated facade the more you go through Haruka's route.

After all her slipped hints by Kanata herself, making her trying to do something over the top as in this episode just make the whole thing -backwards-.