View Single Post
Old 2008-06-06, 20:19   Link #154
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
All true, but Ranka also took Alto's acting advice to heart, and she ended up a natural at it. And Ranka's own purpose for singing--to be heard--is also similar to Alto's reason for piloting; both were also tightly linked with the observatory scene way back in the ep where Alto joined SMS.
The difference is that Alto asked that question and Sheryl answered it so ALto knows that Sheryl "gets" it. Minor thing really but these sort of things will add up over the course of the series for both girls.

Quote:
I also don't think Sheryl really knows that much *more* about Alto than Ranka; I don't think *anyone's* really all that emotionally close to Alto, especially when it comes to his past, which he talks about as little as possible. Earlier, Ranka talks about how Alto actually listens to her, unlike Ozma, and Alto despite being rough jagged-edged, *does* actually give pretty good advice and encourage her, so I think things go beyond a blind crush.
I still feel like she doesn't "get" Alto at the moment, compared to Sheryl. But like I said that will change.

Quote:
There's also something to be said about how Ranka's song calmed Alto during the observatory scene before he finally decided on joining SMS--IIRC, he was pretty furious at Michel at the time, and we saw Alto actually being something other than contemptuously indifferent or downright angry. Sheryl sorta had a similar scene when he tried to give back the earring, but the Ranka vibe struck me as more important.
I don't know how much importance to put into that scene since the manga skipped it completely. Went straight from the shelter to Ozma in hospital and he was accepted right there. They did make the Miss Macross part have a stronger AltoxRanka vibe though.

Quote:
Anyhow, I do agree with you that both female characters are *very* even, which is why this is a very good triangle. There's real uncertainty about pretty much everything; I still find Ranka way too charming, but Sheryl's character certainly has its strong points. It'll be interesting to see how they do things in the next ep.
Yes the best triangles leave you guessing and this is shaping up to be a good one in that regard.