View Single Post
Old 2013-01-29, 18:02   Link #56
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
To me at least, by definition, a hero would have to be righteous. Superman is a hero.

Yakomaru is anything but. He might improve the quality of life of his people (or not? who knows), but that's just by stomping on other people. He's perfectly fine with lying, murdering, and making his queen into a vegetable that makes children. He has no issue trampling on innocents and manipulating them (at the time Saki and Satoru) to get what he wants.

I really don't think the end justifies the means. His actions might be good for the queerats (or at least for his clan), but I could never consider him a hero.

I'm also positive we haven't seen the worst of him, seeing the next episode preview.

Spoiler for Episode 18 preview/speculation:

Admittedly, the esper society is no better, whose methods are, too, despicable but also appear to have noble motivations - preserving the species. They may be misguided but they mean well. "Meaning well" is not enough.

This story has no true evil or true good I think. Just look and Saki and Satoru. They're not bad people and they're our protagonists, yet they take 0 issue with the "department of pest control" and with how the queerats are treated.

You have to look at everything in context, and SSY's society is pretty screwed up . If I go by my morals, I can't even begin to consider anyone in there a hero, though I could emphatize with some characters...if you look at it from an in-universe point of view, then you can understand the cited characters' actions and maybe not call them "evil", but certainly not righteous.