View Single Post
Old 2011-05-22, 20:42   Link #168
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
I still don't see where it possibly hinted of physical abuse...

Seems to me that there is some form of personal wish-fulfillment involved, which I alluded from your last line. No, I don't need to see it become like Madoka, and frankly, the situations aren't comparable. For one thing, it was pretty obvious from the start that Kyubei didn't have a caring attitude (those eyes gave it away) and secondly, it's Shaft. That's their thing.
No problem ... admittedly the speculation of some sort of abusive family environment was my own conclusion which I thought might be a logical step from a couple of scenes in ep 6 that struck me. Afaict nowhere in the ep was it blatantly spelled out that my speculation was in fact so.

Wish-fulfillment? Maybe. At the moment it is simply a possible way to interpret things up to now and point to possibilities ahead that seemed to me (and a few others) as a fairly plausible explanation and direction the series might go. In that light (as with any theory) the data can of course be used to "explain away" all sorts of things. And sometimes it seems to "work" because it is "wish fulfillment". But there are rare occasions it works because it either is the correct solution or hits near to the correct explanation. But I don't think either I or others who thought the speculation might be hitting near the mark are so attached to it that we are trying to force others to somehow accept it. Again, apologies if it came across like that. It was merely intended to throw some ideas out there.

As regards Madoka - I was not comparing the two stories nor saying that it "needed to become like that"; I was simply using Madoka as an example of a story plot uncovering itself bit by bit in a way that often took the viewers by surprise, and saying that that principle of taking viewers by surprise could come into play in this series. That was all.

Anyway - more will become clearer with the next ep, I am sure.