View Single Post
Old 2012-07-15, 09:11   Link #406
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
The big problem is that even the LN never told us how he got from Aria-Rondo-Monochrome to the Black Cats. Which itself, I suspect in the rewrite would be whole arc - or even three arcs side by side - Kirito's post Monochrome separation from Asuna, his loneliness period Arc, the Black Cats arc, and finally, the Red Nose Reindeer arc. Hopefully too, after that, we'd get the 50th floor arc, and maybe another bridging arc that brings us to Black Swordsman.
That's a problem with the source material itself. Even for stuff that we're informed about, more than half of them are nothing more than passing mentions of a story untold.

Which was perfectly fine, given the original design of the way SAO told its story in a main plot, fragments of other self-contained stories, and stuff that are good for flashbacks. ( like RDR, damnit!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
As for the anime itself, I do agree it would be quite awkward to see RNR- since I cannot see how they can compress Kirito is lonely, the Black Cats fulfilled his loneliness, he grew close to Sachi as a substitute Imouto and his Red Nose Reindeer madness in one episode, without making it rushed as hell, and alot of viewers going WTF just happened? Did they did a Campione and animated a whole volume into one Episode? (Yes, I know, RNR is shorter than Aria, and only a part of a larger volume.)
Couldn't had said it better.

And why I vehemently continue to oppose a chronological adaption of SAO, especially in the context of RDR. At least with a flashback, you'd have the benefit of the narrator (Kirito, in this case) at least 'padding' his flashback with 'I got lonely' without needing to actually show how that happened to him.

While there are ways to actually show Kirito going through a phase of loneliness in a short amount of time ( I dunno, have him showing some jealousy of Kline's strongly bonded guild ( via a 800 word essay? ), or simply have him in a hobo-like situation for a few minutes where he's alone in the darkness of dungeons while it rains and stuff, it would be hard to actually convey effectively.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote