View Single Post
Old 2009-11-02, 21:40   Link #70
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
You make it sound like these are rules that films need to abide by.

Having a new threat that suddenly emerges out of nowhere and forces the two combatants to join forces is cliché. That's been done so many times before.

A movie also can have adequate character development. It's true that its shorter length in comparison to a book or series makes accomplishing that more difficult, but that doesn't mean it's not feasible.
you are talking about an animated Shounen film directed by a novice director who only has One Piece to his credit. So, while you’re basic point may be correct (i.e. the medium can be adequate for decent character development to allow for a stalemate to occur (which I never once disagreed with, rather I disagreed that with the assertion that this movie could accomplish such a task)), the fact that you are dealing with a "genre" that demands something conclusive, even if it is asinine, almost immediately discounts your point. I hate to break it to you, but this is not going to be a piece of art (which you should have noticed just by looking at the trailer), it is purely entertainment.

As a basic story, it would make no sense that Shiki would steal Nami in the first half-hour; have minor fights with the Strawhats in the next half-hour; and then finally fight Luffy in the last half-hour, only to then give up since he "respects" Luffy - you cannot, within a Shounen movie, adequately explore the reasons why Shiki would stop fighting Luffy after only being an enemy for half-an-hour . Shiki will either be defeated by Luffy (if Shiki is less powerful than Roger (etc)), die by over-exerting himself, or be defeated by someone like Whitebeard (this will only occur if Shiki is as powerful as Roger and the others).

In other words, you are hoping for way to much with this film. It's nice that Oda wrote it (and designed everything for it), but since it is not necessarily canon (it could be canon, as so long as it takes place before Sabaody...but that would instantly destroy any tension)), and will only be confined to a 90 minute film, it seems fairly safe to say that by the end of the movie, one way or another, Shiki will fall, even if it is not necessarily by Luffy's hands...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote