View Single Post
Old 2011-08-25, 10:35   Link #130
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post

I wouldn't really describe myself as Anime fan anymore though, I'm more of an "Animation fan", given Japan has the largest Animation industry it's natural I gravitate to it... But I definitely prefer the stuff that doesn't emphasise traditional Anime clichés.

The reason I stay in Anime is that I think animation has more creative possibilities then any other filmed medium, as it seperates you from the boundaries of the physically possible, it allows for a more stylized representation of events that is perhaps truer to human thought. Animation truly allows the creator to unshackle their imagination from real world constraints.

And that's why I'll never grow out of it.
I know exactly what you mean.

Likewise, I'm more of an "animation fan" than an anime fan specifically. I've always loved animation. As a kid, I loved 80s saturday morning cartoons. In my teens, I enjoyed shows like Gargoyles, Sailor Moon, Batman: TAS, and DBZ (so as you can see, anime was only part of it).

However, Disney more or less gave up on 2D animation at some point, and DC's animated TV shows eventually came to an end, which has seriously limited western animation, imo.

Unlike western animation, anime goes to all sorts of places with animated stories: A full range of genres and tones from the very dark to the inspirational to the very realistic to the stunningly surreal to the
action-packed to the slice of life. Western animation simply doesn't do this any more, to the best of my knowledge, so anime is now where its at, for me.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-08-25 at 11:49.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote