View Single Post
Old 2007-11-17, 13:40   Link #13
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Yes, that's not surprising. The weird bit of these DMCA notices is that they involve unlicensed anime, which means the company who requested the notice to be send is either a US anime studio which is doing so without announcing the licenses first OR it's a Japanese anime studio. In any case, something like this has not really been seen before (in US).
Yes, I did catch that.

My point is that any one who receives such a notice needs to find out who issued the violation notice so we can understand who is trying to control the distribution so we know where to tread lightly.

It is also entirely possible that whoever is issuing these notices is NOT a legitimate representative of the copyright owner. It has happened before. And while I hate to suggest it, I wouldn't put it past Comcast to serve false notices to try to curtail BitTorrent traffic. If either of these is the case, we can squelch this.

In any case, I think it's time to consider anonymizing all traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
Hm... I'm on Comcast, and I've downloaded the exact file before. I didn't like it that much, so that's the only file I've downloaded out of the aforementioned series. Haven't received anything yet, but since that was sent just yesterday, guess I should keep low for a while.

It surprising and a bit depressing to think "ah, that's nice of them to actually send a warning rather than disconnect/sue/harrass the guy."

Edit: Kyuusai, love your sig
It's a bit strange, but in my experience notices seem to be wide (covering a wide range of downloaders) rather than deep (focusing on any one found sharing a particular file).

When I do contact a customer, I make sure they know that I'm not trying to be the bad guy, but I'm just trying to keep them and us out of hot water, legally speaking by letting them know they've been spotted sharing something. Keep in mind that they aren't after downloaders, but uploaders. (In the US, possession of copyrighted works is not an issue--yet--but only the distribution. It is, after all, copyright.)

Also, thanks.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote