View Single Post
Old 2009-09-08, 09:35   Link #770
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
Yeah but what makes it harder to accept this, is the one-shot and the first few chapters which increased my expectations. If they meant it to be a gag-manga sort of thing, they should have done so from the beginning, why raise our hopes with "romance blooms in the student council" sort of things or promising to "have awesome fights like the judo thing?" If they wanted to show Medaka and her powers they should've just done that at the beginning. Who knew Zen would become such a lap dog, when he seemed so against in joining and seemed to have a backbone. That's why I m against Shiranui joining the councl, who knows she just might become tamed like Zen and that would take away the only present likeable character
I think that's the way many people feel. The one-shot drew in a bunch of people with the promise of good action, romance and a focus on Zenkichi, who was the one who did the fighting of the judo club. We even got hints of a possibly good story involving Medaka's powers causing trouble for others because of her inability to understand how others felt and not knowing what it's like to lose or suffer.

The serialization changed all that completely. We get Medaka fighting the Kendo club and owning them without breaking a sweat in the beginning (including the first example of her superpowers-- picking pockets with a kendo sword to steal cigarettes), we get a focus on how strong she is, with her solving everyone's problems herself without any difficulty (and she seems to be getting stronger and more unbelievable as the manga goes on), we find that her need for Zenkichi seems to be completely fake and she has a horrible personality for someone who supposedly loves everyone, we get Zenkichi turned into a side-character, no character development at all, either for the individual characters themselves or even the relationships they have with each other, and no real story. It focuses instead on the over-the-top comedy and gags and seems to have done almost a complete 180 from the original concept, which has turned a lot of fans off, as Medaka isn't a character you can relate to and her arrogant, tyrannical, manipulative personality combined with her perfection in all other areas makes her a really unlikable character.

I was only able to enjoy chapter 17 because I finally gave up on anything deep and decided to view it as nothing more than a mediocre gag manga. It's like reading a newpaper comic strip-- you can enjoy it, but don't expect anything from it except for the occasional laugh at how ridiculous it is.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote