View Single Post
Old 2011-12-30, 22:14   Link #438
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't think that necessarily disproves the theory. It could be that all shows will get a boost over the next few weeks as purchases get spread out, including those already doing well. Or it could be that people who collect multiple series have their "top-priority tier" and their "second-priority tier" (assuming the amount they have to spend per month is fixed). Or it could be that the people who purchased the boxsets are not the same as the people who are purchasing the shows that are selling well (different demographics?). Or... well, who knows. I do think, though, that the sheer amount of new products put on sale within that three-day period is rather daunting, and I have to imagine that there will be some overlap in the customer base between who's purchasing what, so I wonder if there'll be an impact. Of course, time will tell, and I'm not expecting any "miracles" by any stretch.
Moreover, most of those shows (P4, Working!!, Horizon (even if it isn't gigantic)) already have established fanbases from their origins (game, previous season, and novels) and are pulling many sales from people who, probably, wouldn't be buying anything from the other shows either way and are skewing the statistics. Then you add that to a time of the year where there is a lot of releases and you end up with a definite bottleneck where only the *best* or most *backed* shows make it through with great sales because, while everyone would love to buy everything they love, they cannot and have to make concessions (usually buying things they know are good and, probably, are being added to a pre-existing collection).

That aside, I'm glad Penguin is at least about even on profit/cost. It was a risk and a trip.