View Single Post
Old 2007-04-07, 09:29   Link #101
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
I say yes.

Because at some point, like Vexx alluded to, you've simply seen the basic stories there are to tell, in anime, in twenty or thirty different ways.
I wasn't really talking about stories, and I don't believe that's the #1 reason why fans drift away from the hobby. But anyway, some franchises can last decades and bring freshness to old fans in newer times, stories constantly change, characters change, relationships between characters change. Yes, there is no such thing as infinite number of ways to tell a story, but the aforementioned elements do change and give stories new faces. For example, Noir, MADLAX and El Cazador may all look the same with rehashed material, as they are from a specific trilogy with a specific mindset behind it, but they still differ from each other and they offer a different experience in a different time.
Basically, what I'm trying to say is that overanalysing anime as forms of intellectual masterpieces may as well bring disappointment and bitterness somewhere along the way, because most of the time they're clean entertainment, nothing more, nothing less. I try to enjoy anime in the heap of the moment, I try to forget what I've seen and what I may expect of the series.
It's good that you keep in mind that anime is just another form of entertainment; you shouldn't suffer through the content, but at the same time you should know that you're bound to meet freshly rehashed material somewhere on the way. I was reminded of that pretty soon actually and I believe that I'm dealing pretty well with it after 4 years of my fanhood. I've watched moe anime back then and I watch it now. Countless stories have already been rehashed infront of my eyes, yet I still find a character I can adore, I still find a story that entertains me... I guess I don't nitpick too often. As soon as you start doing that regularly, you're most likely looking for reasons to quit. Taking a short break wouldn't be such a bad idea at that moment, probably.

Though I do believe that after a few years I'll have problems communicating with other fans in my area about the hobby because of my upcoming age. Let's face it, fans come and go, but those who remain get older and more lonely. Can't hang out with teens when you're ~40 other than your kids, that's for sure. Thank the gods for the internet.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote