View Single Post
Old 2008-08-15, 21:09   Link #617
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy100 View Post
This might be kind of old, but was there any mention of why Frontier doesn't use VF-19 and VF-22? I thought they were supposed to be the main fighters for NUNS, not the VF-171.
VF-19 Valkyries were being distributed to fleets and colonies and allied planets around 2046-47.

Macross Frontier is set at 2059. Almost 20 years after Shinsei Industry won the contract with the VF-19.

As can be observed with Macross 7 fleet's Emerald squadron (VF-19F and VF-19S) and Zola Galaxy Patrol (VF-19P).

Elite squadrons such as the one on the carrier Vahalla III (VFX) and VFX Ravens squadron of the Saratoga II utilize VF-19A Valkyries.

But it seems during 2047 colony fleets like Macross 7 opted the VF-17 as their mainline fighter while elite squadrons use the VF-22.

I think General Galaxy made the VF-17 cheaper and developed its successor the VF-171.

The VF-171 doesn't appear to have the beam weapon attachment for the gunpod like the VF-17. If they did Frontier NUNS wouldn't need Brera and his Antares squadron. Frontier NUNS has shown themselves as capable as the local SMS but for a bunch of cyborg foreigners to upstage them well..

The thing is before Isamu Dyson got exiled as a test pilot at New Edwards on Eden for project Supernova the YF-19 test pilots were either killed or maimed.

Meaning it was too high performance that it needed an ace level pilot.

Not everybody is an ace pilot. Not to mention how much a VF-19 cost. I feel sorry for Ray and Operation M as they will have to pay for the VF-19P Basara "rented" from Zola Galaxy Patrol.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote