View Single Post
Old 2009-12-22, 03:50   Link #2226
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
granted though, it suffers from something i've felt has been a common problem in fairy tail; not enough build up... Sacrifce and lost are WAY more effective when you had time to actually get to know the characters. Jet, D'Roy, and Levi were the first when they got pinned to that tree before we ever really got to know them... Loki was another as we got barely any build up to his character before his show down with the stellar spirit king... I felt fried was another one considering his emotional breakdown at the end of his fight with Mira... Elfman might be another one... all emotional moments that would have been much more effective with more build up and attention given to the characters BEFORE the event; and in there case it would not have been hard as some of those early arcs could have traded one character for another; or insert a little bit of filler material
Quote:
though of course the problem there is that wendy would have had to been introduced much earlier on; which might have screwed with things... we are talking major re-writing
Applying the second part of your post (that is, getting to know the characters) to each and every member of the first part, would drag the story way too much for secondary characters. Mashima is trying to do justice to all of his creations, but still has to focus on the main characters and an actual plot, which is, at least in my opinion, Fairy Tail's biggest problem. So...character development VS plot progress, which would you choose and why? Everyone's opinions are welcome
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote