View Single Post
Old 2012-10-14, 09:44   Link #5
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

It seems like you people don't really give much thought into this, Midonin has the right idea though.

Ever noticed that in shoujo series the exact same thing happens but with reverse gender? Normal protagonists, whether male or female, are used to show how abnormal or special the love interests are, I believe someone once said that the goal is to have the audience fall in love with the love interest just as the protagonist is doing the same... Which I thought was an interesting concept.

There's a need for some contrast because normal + normal = boring, but at the same time special + special = normal because if everybody is special, then nobody is.

Now, why not make a special protagonist with normal love interests? Well yes you can do it and I'm certain there are shows like that, but seriously are you watching the show for the guy or the girls (reverse for shoujo) ? Even then, people are still going to whine that it's wish-fulfillment to be some badass pimp who is a one-man-army that can do everything so you're screwed either way... Might as well go for a 'David vs Goliath' scenario where a normal protagonist wins the heart of a beautiful lover... There's a higher chance for people to root for an underdog, plus it's easier and more interesting to write about uphill battles than curbstomping ones.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote