View Single Post
Old 2004-11-23, 10:55   Link #5
tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Not to be brash or abrasive here, but the RIAA and the MPAA can go kiss my little white a**. I don't care what laws they pass, I WILL do what I want with the media I own and they can kiss my a** if they think they're going to change it. Block me from burning DVD's, fine, I'll just hack my drive to get around your security. Try to send me to jail for doing it. Fine, I'll just conseal my activities. Try to peak in on what I'm doing. I'll just hide my machine. Block me from getting any hardware that allows me to do ANYTHING you don't like. Fine, I'll go out of the country and buy my hardware there.

They just don't get it. All they're doing is turning their own customers against them. In time the people are going to get so sick of it that the battle will totally turn against the RIAA and MPAA, people will demand media freedom, and laws will be turned against them. And for what? They're already making outrageous fortunes screwing everyone from the top of the ladder down to joe nobody, yet they want more??? o_0

I'm sorry if I sound a bit crass, but this is a sore subject with me. I'm going to stop now before I get really obnoxious about this corporate powered greed induced money gorging fest. Gauds I hate greed.
I have very little respect for the MPAA, RIAA, and the rest. Their use of heavy handed tactics doesn't exactly score them any brownie points with "the little people" they want to make money off of. Instead of offering consumers a more attractive and profitable alternative, or implement a copyright protection scheme which is unbreakable at the consumer level, or mainly go after the groups and businesses who make money and profit from the violation of someone elses copyrighted material.

They should just consider it as fact at this point that by being a step behind the times in terms of evolving technology they have allowed their existing catalogs of copyrighted movies and songs to slip into the public domain where liberal standards of fair use will apply. Their copyrights may still be in effect from a technical standpoint which can be used to stop the illegal sale of protected works, but in practical terms it's now more difficult for the holder of the copyright to turn a profit off something that's already been freely distributed across much of the planet. Taking a legal stick to consumers won't change this.
tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote