View Single Post
Old 2013-07-08, 16:07   Link #161
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
So, I'd like some opinions on this. Lately, I've noticed my left eye's had this weird twitching/pulsing feeling under the eye. Closing the eye usually makes the feeling go away, as does putting my finger under the eye (as if I were to wipe a tear from the inner duct without touching the eye itself).

For a while, while it worried me, I thought it was just a feeling and not something actually happening. Then a week or two ago, it started happening while I was in the bathroom, so I decided to check the mirror and noticed there was actually a visible pulse going on under the eye (think those cliche anime pulsing veins). This sort of freaked me out.

I checked online and it looked like the three main causes are inadequate sleep (I do have some degree of insomnia, usually takes 30-60 minutes to fall asleep and the past couple of weeks I'd only gotten about 6 hours a night on average at best), stress (definitely been getting that at work), and eye strain. The last one is the one that I'm most curious about, as I do work with computers all day, but I also got new lenses in my glasses in May. I cannot recall when this twitch started happening, but I at least know it wasn't happening before January.

Anyone ever have something like this happen? It's getting more frequent, so not sure if I should consult an optometrist, check to make sure they didn't screw up my left lens, or if this is an issue for a general practitioner.
I actually had this EXACT issue mid last year when I started working graveyard shift (11:30pm-8am). I too didn't know what it was, but I did notice I was getting bags under my eyes and my eyes were always drying out and blood shot (I wear both glasses and contacts). I worked gy shift on the weekends then during the weekdays I would be back to regular sleeping schedule + school. I don't think it was stress (but I do think that it could be a contributing factor) since school wasn't too bad for me. This all lead me to believe that it was the lack of sleep that was causing these eye twitches.

I don't know exactly when it went away, but I just stopped having it. Most likely since I got used to working gy shifts and I do tend to take a lot of naps a week + I always make sure I get at least 6 hours of sleep a day. I'd say get as much sleep as you can and find things to de-stress, exercise, gaming, anime, etc x)

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote