View Single Post
Old 2007-08-01, 08:49   Link #32
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Static - understand you have to discharge yourself, touch the case or any metal other than the parts before handling them. If you're really paranoid spend 2 dollars on a static wrist wrap. (clip goes to the metal frame of case velcro strap goes around wrist. As much as possible only handle parts by the edges (avoid touching the gold bits).

It's fairly simple really, pcie cards can only go in pcie slots, ram can only go in ram slots. SATA only can go in sata slots. Same with the power connectors for each device. Each kind of male connector can only go in to a specific female connector. All the parts will have detailed instructions the only ones that won't will be the HDD and RAM. Understand that a little bit of force is required but not too much. The hardest thing for me is connecting the led lights and switches only because the jumpers are tiny but hey if you've got a camera take a pic and put em up along with the schematic of the jumper (not every mobo is the same). Along with cable management, you don't want cables going willy nilly you need to keep them tidy.

take your time as well, it took me 2 hrs the first time, it takes me about 45 mins now with all cables tidied up.

But best advice - and its free - go to your library get a recent book on upgrading and repairing PC's. Understand exactly what you're doing so it's a bit more coherent. Particularly important to know is what is what. What does a SATA data cable look like? What does a SATA Power cable look like? WHat does a 6pin power connector look like? What does a 24pin connector look like? What does a 4 pin molex connector look like, once you can identify what is what, you're 90% there.

But there's here, tom's hardware forums, xbitlabs forum anandtech forums that can help with specific issues
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote