View Single Post
Old 2012-11-13, 15:15   Link #251
Zeriand
Banned

I'll just give you a simple example here. It's up to you to interpret it as you wish.

1) My girlfriend is missing. I'm currently investigating a very important lead that might just be the jackpot. If I don't find her soon, she's going to lose her entire inheritance (due to some circumstances).

2) My girlfriend is in grave danger. She has fallen into the hands of an evil man, and her very life is under threat. I know where he is, and my girlfriend is most likely with him.

For me, 2) holds the greatest urgency, and I'd probably throw all notions of comfort and caution to the wind. There are two reasons: One, there is a direct threat towards my girlfriend's life at Situation 2, whereas Situation 1 only holds possible threats. Two, the whereabouts of my girlfriend are confirmed in Situation 2, whereas the most I could say for Situation 1 is 'highly possible'. Hence a person's state of mind changes accordingly to fit the circumstances, and while I have room to relax and rest in Situation 1, there is none at all in Situation 2.
Zeriand is offline   Reply With Quote