View Single Post
Old 2011-08-10, 06:25   Link #423
Airman8
Helvetica Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I feel really fulfilled after reading Surprise. Even if the author says he didn't really have a good reason for the delay, I do feel those years didn't go to waste. The story was well developed, the characters interactions were delightful, the drama was always there and overall the story kept you on your toes. I even felt sadness at Yasumi's dissapeareance and Sasaki's departure from the main story (I hope Kyon's implication that we may see more of her is not a red herring). Sasaki's character in particular must be one of the most likable I've seen, even if it felt a little too constructed at parts. Nothing I can't forgive in a light novel.
I've just finished the first part, and despite being spoiled a bit on the later plot (I figured Sasaki couldn't be a constant character because Haruhi has to be the leading lady) I'm eager to finish the story.

But... I might read the first part a second time before I go on. The plot is getting set up nicely for an exciting conclusion in the second part. I think the first is only just the warm-up...

Beyond that, this series has always been fairly meditative (is that a trait of Japanese storytelling, or Tanigawa even moreso?), but this time around I was especially tuned into Tanigawa's commentary. I enjoyed Kyon's narration as usual, and Haruhi's criticism of the education system. I especially liked the last part where Sasaki and Kyon have that long conversation that eventually delved into existential thoughts about what life means. I really like Sasaki as a character as well. You could be right about her feeling a bit constructed, but she plays a great role as a foil for both Haruhi and Kyon in different ways. I get the feeling Tanigawa also uses Sasaki as a means to express some of his musings that other characters just can't voice as well. Sasaki's apparent calmness and clarity of thought let her tap into ideas more directly than the other characters. I really like reading her mini-essays.

I think if Asakura could come back, I'm sure Sasaki will too before the end (which I am not at all convinced Surprise comprises, even if I haven't finished it).