Thread: Licensed Avenger Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2004-03-15, 13:00   Link #96
SilverLeafTree
UnLeet

Send a message via AIM to SilverLeafTree
Barbaroi

The thread lives once again!! Oh, and an interesting thing I read up on my AP Euro text...

The term "Barbaroi" was used by ancient Greeks to describe other peoples which they dominated in their empires. This was because their language seemed to sound like "bar bar" to them. Of course, the word "barbarian" was derived from this.

The Greeks saw themselves as a greater race. Their society was structured around city-states and they believed that it was natural for Greeks to be free and have liberties. However, they believed that the surrounding barbaroi societies were there to be naturally dominated and ruled, since they seemed to be constantly dominated by warring factions anyway.

I'm not sure how this completely corresponds to Avenger... there is no iron fist domination over the barbaroi as there was in history. However, there is a general idea of "barbaroi" and "non-barbaroi," and the people do not hesitate to use that card when needed (as when Layla was rejected from the city for killing a doll). Barbarois in Avenger are treated with respect but are also seen as distinctly different, very similar to the Japanese treatment of foreigners in their country.

Any ideas on this?