View Single Post
Old 2012-06-06, 09:59   Link #4
james0246

First of all, Anne Hathaway doesn't play Eponine, she plays Fantine (I changed the title accordingly, but I left the OP to your discretion), Cosette's mother. Newcomer Samantha Barks plays Eponine; she got the role after playing the character on stage for a recent West End revival. (I'm still a little peeved Lea Michele didn't get the part of Eponine, if only because I know she can sing the hell out of "On My Own".)

In many respects, this is the film I am most excited about for the Christmas season. With a high-grade/pedigree cast (a great many of the actors have appeared in Broadway plays and musicals in the past, though I wonder if Amanda Seyfried and Russell Crowe haven't been miscast)), a very good director with a lot to prove (who was also given seemingly complete creative control), and a screenwriter who has done many period pieces before. Added to that, all of the musical numbers are performed live on-set, rather than being lip-synced to pre-recorded studio sessions.

This movie looks like it could be a truly great experience.

p.s. Anne Hathaway is a natural soprano who has had multiple singing roles in the past. The voice you hear in the trailer is her natural voice. She does not need to be "fixed". All of the main cast are singers with previous musical accomplishments (even Seyfried, who I am most skeptical of, trained to be on Broadway)

p.p.s. I actually saw the original Broadway production of Les Mis at the Broadway Theatre in Manhattan back in 1987.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-06-06 at 10:18.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote