View Single Post
Old 2012-09-16, 19:51   Link #475
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
In my mind between Obama and Romeny it is like choosing the lesser of two evils. The country will still be in bad shape and won't improve all that much through whomever's term.
I think this is a point that many people don't want to accept. The president can have an impact on certain areas of society, but one man won't make or break America. Is it Obama's fault that the economy isn't doing great? There's a world-wide recession, various policies and trends have added up over many years to get us here, and other arms of our government have a say in what goes on: very little of this has to do with Obama. Is it Obama's fault that many Muslims hold negative sentiment against America? We've militarily meddled in the affairs of many Middle Eastern nations since before I was born, and we also state strong support for Israel: very little of this has to do with Obama.

It's not just about placing blame; it's frightening to think that Obama might not have anything to do with these events. It's scary because it means that whoever replaces Obama will be powerless over them, as well. As people who vote these people into power, that makes us powerless, as well. Thanks to the conveniences of technology and scientific advancement, people have become used to the idea that we're able to control almost everything in the world. It's terribly unnerving to realize that there are still many things that we can't do anything about.